• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Questions on offense going into spring camp

grizfnz said:
brewskis said:
Spanky said:
If the Stitt mystery offense is so difficult for a college QB to learn, maybe Stitt should be told to run a different offense?
Brady seemed fine with it in his first year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Until his leg got broken.
When I begin to think about the quarterback position this year, I'm inclined to rush over and grab a couple of Tums. BG started out epic and his career was a consistent roller coaster. I was slightly surprised at the plethora of inaccurate throws. Why? We could discuss it until we're blue in the face. Coach Stiff will be wearing Depends on the field this year. There was a only a nominal amount of pressure last year. He'll be feeling hot seat this year with the QB hill to climb. I certainly hope the position performs better than I see it... :egriz:

Stitt's offense is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get....and you'll end up with the shits at some point.

Without modification of the offense, including preparation and adjustments.

Hopefully D.C. attended a simanar or even a couple, he has a way to go to bring the Griz defense to the status it once commanded.

I am going to take coach Stitt at his own words, to evaluate everything, hopefully his own offense.

If not could be a repeat of last season. Go Griz.

PhxGriz said:
BWahlberg said:
firmgriz said:
reinell30 said:
I think Phillips comes out of fall camp as the starter with Gresch Jensen the clear #2. I also think this Hill kid will see the field quite a bit. I think by game 3 or 4, Jensen will start and the battle for #2 will be between Hill and Phillips.

I think we see Phillips starting the whole season, barring injury. He is stepping up as the presumed #1 and he takes a lot of pride and is super excited about wearing the mantle. We didn't see what he is capable of last year. I think this spring will be his coming out party. I'm really excited about the tangible skills and the intangible leadership qualities he brings to the table.

I tend to think this as well. Thinking about the progression that Chalich had from year 1 to year 2 as a transfer coming in and getting familiar with the offense, the OL, the WRs, etc - if we see similar to better from Phillips we'll have a good starting QB through the season.

Add to the fact that Phillips was also surrounded by other QB's who had at least one year under their belt for assistance as well. Peer coaching.

The more you think about Gus learning the system and playing well was impressive.
Impressive if it weren't for the frequent times when he didn't play well.

He is installing his new invention the "Super Duper Fly Sweep". Be ready for more exciting mad scientist offense......or maybe just zone read and lateral passes?????

Question...

Did the Griz ever run a bubble sucker? I.E. fake the bubble and have the outside receiver fake a block and then run a fade down the sideline.

I don't remember it and WR screens set it up well.

Paytonlives said:
Question...

Did the Griz ever run a bubble sucker? I.E. fake the bubble and have the outside receiver fake a block and then run a fade down the sideline.

I don't recall one either,,,,it should have touchdown written all over it though..might be saving for that one time we really need it....ha ! :eek:

krammer said:
Paytonlives said:
Question...

I don't recall one either,,,,it should have touchdown written all over it though..might be saving for that one time we really need it....ha ! :eek:
Plenty of those moments last year haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kemajic said:
PhxGriz said:
BWahlberg said:
firmgriz said:
I think we see Phillips starting the whole season, barring injury. He is stepping up as the presumed #1 and he takes a lot of pride and is super excited about wearing the mantle. We didn't see what he is capable of last year. I think this spring will be his coming out party. I'm really excited about the tangible skills and the intangible leadership qualities he brings to the table.

I tend to think this as well. Thinking about the progression that Chalich had from year 1 to year 2 as a transfer coming in and getting familiar with the offense, the OL, the WRs, etc - if we see similar to better from Phillips we'll have a good starting QB through the season.

Add to the fact that Phillips was also surrounded by other QB's who had at least one year under their belt for assistance as well. Peer coaching.

The more you think about Gus learning the system and playing well was impressive.
Impressive if it weren't for the frequent times when he didn't play well.

Of course. I am sure you would have shown us how it was done uncle Rico.

krammer said:
Paytonlives said:
Question...

Especially since the defenses were overplaying the bubbles (and getting away with it) late in the year.

kemajic said:
krammer said:
Paytonlives said:
Question...

Especially since the defenses were overplaying the bubbles (and getting away with it) late in the year.

It was run against NAU on a fourth down play, Bingham faked the block DB jumped it, Bingham was wide open on seam pattern, BG threw late too high and behind (uncatchable).

One glaring component of last year's squad not mentioned in this thread was the historically abysmal performance (more correctly non-performance) of our not so Special Teams. I say add this as #7 to Brint's list of questions. It goes without saying that we MUST find a place-kicker who can kick off (hopefully deep), hit Field Goals on a consistent basis, and then a punter with multiple skills. Someone who can kick long, high, and deep would obviously be great but if we can't find someone with those skills then consider getting and developing a player with rugby-kick type capabilities and/or using an old-school tactic of coffin corner kicks...especially if our return coverage teams have problems preventing long runbacks.

Perhaps some of our new recruits will improve our KO and punt return numbers (as one poster suggested) but maybe we also need better schemes to make them more successful? We no doubt could use better discipline as well in staying in our lanes.

As far as offense goes lets get DOLA back from the dark ages so our QB's will have the time they need to execute the plays. As for the QB's, I believe Griz fans are going to be pleasantly surprised by what they are going to accomplish. Like a couple other posters I see Phillips entering Spring Ball as the likely signal caller favorite but I also strongly see Jensen as scrapping hard for the position and just maybe grabbing it by the end of camp if not after a few games into the regular season. It is critical for the ground game to come around this year to make this offense more versatile. Obviously just because we have 24 WR's doesn't mean we are going to move the pigskin consistently.

Defensively we need to get nasty and our DC has to man up his schemes to play FCS caliber games if we are going to compete for championships.

My two cents worth.

Without knowledge, our DC and STC can't teach the student athletes the basics.
Many on this board have been raving about our recruits. If we don't have coaches that can teach them, so much for the recruits.

Spanky said:
Without knowledge, our DC and STC can't teach the student athletes the basics.
Many on this board have been raving about our recruits. If we don't have coaches that can teach them, so much for the recruits.

Spot on Spanky! :thumb:

Spanky said:
If the Stitt mystery offense is so difficult for a college QB to learn, maybe Stitt should be told to run a different offense?

stitt has done a great job in selling the "sizzle" , now it's time for the steak.....imo.... :roll:

Back